According to NCSBN research, only 20% of employers believe new nurses are prepared to make clinical judgments on their first day of practice. That leaves 80% of healthcare managers second-guessing the competence and confidence of first-year nurses.
So how can nursing education programs better prepare new nurses for day one of clinical practice and set them up for success on day 1,001?
To help answer that big question, we put together a free guide focused on increasing nursing students’ clinical judgment with video assessment.
The guide—Increase New Nurses’ Clinical Judgment—provides a comprehensive checklist for must-have video assessment features and functionality. It also outlines:
Keep reading for an extended preview or download the guide now.
What it comes down to is that new nurses aren’t prepared for clinical practice, and this creates a vicious cycle in nursing: big stress, big turnover, and big costs for hospitals.
It starts with stress. A lack of confidence—and fear of making medical mistakes—increases stress for new nurses, which decreases both clinical judgment and job satisfaction.
With low job satisfaction comes high RN turnover and high costs averaging $5.1 million annually per hospital to recruit and hire even more new nurses.
Seeing this vicious cycle unfold, the NCSBN wants to address this head-on with the Next Generation NCLEX or NGN. They found that most 21st-century nursing tasks require some combination of three key skills—clinical judgment, critical thinking, and problem solving—and they’re redesigning the NGN to emphasize these skills.
To give nurse educators a framework for preparing students for the NGN, the NCSBN also created an operational definition of clinical judgment and a model for measuring it.
Watch Our Recorded Workshop: Preparing for the Next Gen NCLEX (NGN) With GoReact
As nurse educators adjust their curricula and methods to prepare students for the NGN, they need tools to effectively develop, observe, and evaluate students’ clinical judgment—from their ability to recognize cues to their confidence in taking action.
Reflecting these needs, recent trends in nursing education include:
Additionally, a recent survey by Wolters Kluwer and the National League for Nursing (NGN) identified the top three ways nursing ed programs are using technology to prepare practice-ready nurses:
The good news for nursing ed programs is that all of these trends and uses are supported by one simple tool: video assessment software.
As academic institutions offer a growing number of online courses formerly reserved for face-to-face delivery, they need innovative ways to enhance the virtual learning experience.
Nursing education programs use video assessment to help students develop and demonstrate hands-on nursing skills as part of their online, blended, or on-campus courses.
Leveraging the ubiquity of smartphones and webcams, video assessment enables students to record videos anytime and anywhere, which extends clinical learning beyond the simulation lab. It makes the experience not only flexible, mobile, and scalable, but also collaborative, interactive, and personalized.
Beyond providing tools for video capture and assignment submissions, video assessment software also streamlines feedback and grading.
As they watch student videos, instructors and peer reviewers are able to give time-coded text, audio, and video feedback, providing verbal (not just written) critiques and modeling proper techniques visually.
This combination of hands-on video practice and personalized feedback facilitates a range of learning activities such as:
It also saves valuable time for nursing faculty and helps reduce the number of clinical sites for nursing ed programs.
Get your guide to learn how video assessment helps increase first-year nurses’ clinical judgment so they’re better prepared for clinical practice.
Want more solutions? Read “Tired of the Theory-Practice Gap in Nursing.”